concerned about protecting Pennsylvania's cultural resources from energy
Please consider attending the GAPP Summit in Pittsburgh. SPA members will receive a discount on registration for "Bridging the GAPP: Honoring Our History - Fueling Our Future", a summit to be held at the Fairmont Hotel in Pittsburgh on March 21, 2014. This conference is designed to bring together leaders and interested parties from the energy industry and the preservation/archaeology community to work together on how we can protect cultural and historical resources while energy development proceeds in our region and across the country. The conference agenda as well as more about the non-profit Gas and Preservation Partnership (GAPP) can be found at gasandpreservation.org/events. You will find that SPA is a promotional partner and this entitles all SPA members to a 20% discount on registration (Early Bird registration until 2/28 is $150, but your price as an SPA member will be $120). The SPA is sending some official representatives, but we encourage all members who are interested to attend. To receive the discount use the button "Enter promotional code" beneath the various registration options and enter SPA. This should reduce your amount by 20%.
The Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology, Inc. was organized in 1929 to:
- Promote the study of the prehistoric and historic archaeological resources of Pennsylvania and neighboring states.
- Encourage scientific research and discourage exploration which is unscientific or irresponsible in intent or practice.
- Promote the conservation of archaeological sites, artifacts, and information.
- Encourage the establishment and maintenance of sources of archaeological information such as museums, societies, and educational programs.
- Promote the dissemination of archaeological knowledge by means of publications and forums.
- Foster the exchange of information between the professional and the avocational archaeologists.